The official SkillsUSA Championships scorecards are no longer part of the book and electronic copies of the technical standards manual.
The SkillsUSA competition theme for the 2020-21 school year is:
SkillsUSA: Champions at Work, Empowered to Succeed
The topic to be addressed by contestants in the 2021 SkillsUSA Chapter Display, Prepared Speech and Promotional Bulletin Board competitions is our theme, “SkillsUSA: Champions at Work, Empowered to Succeed.”
Within this topic, contestants might illustrate or discuss any of the following:
- What does “Empowered to Succeed” mean to you in relation to your career readiness?
- How has participating in the SkillsUSA Program of Work empowered you to succeed?
- How does the SkillsUSA Framework empower you to succeed?
- How are you empowered with the personal skills needed for career success
- How are you empowered with the workplace skills needed for career success?
- How are you empowered with the technical skills needed for career success?
- In what specific ways has SkillsUSA empowered you to be successful in life?
- What activities or learning within your career and technical education program have empowered you to succeed?
All competitors must create a one-page hard copy résumé and submit this to the technical committee chair at the contest orientation. Failure to do so will result in a 10 point penalty. Competitors can bring a résumé to the contest on the day of competition however, the penalty will remain in effect.
There has been discussion and approval for Barbering, Esthetics and Nail Care and Cosmetology to allow the white polo and black pants. The PDF below should clarify any concerns.
Telephone Number Change for Clothing within all Technical Standards 12/9/19
E-Group, the SkillsUSA service provider for both competition clothing and official dress, has had a telephone number change. We are changing the number in the Technical Standards and they will be updated and reposted. In the interim if you have a clothing question the new number is 1-888-501-2183.
Opening and Closing Ceremonies 2-8-21
Changes to the National Technical Standards
Observer Rule, page 1
Remove: Observers will be allowed to view the demonstration provided space is available. No talking or gesturing will be permitted. No member of the audience is to leave or enter the demonstration room while a team is competing.
Add: No Observers will be allowed.
Arrangement of Demonstration Room section page 2.
Remove: The room provided will be arranged to seat an audience and will have a demonstration area at the front of the room. The room will be set up by the technical committee according to the diagram at the end of these standards, as closely as possible and based upon the confines of the facility.
Remove: The Chairs may be placed anywhere behind the table as long as they do not go past the ends of the tables.
Add: Chairs may be placed anywhere behind the table to meet local and state COVID-19 safety protocols, and they may extend past the ends of the tables as needed.
Remove The room will contain a center aisle. If facilities permit, the room could have at least one side aisle added.
Also Add: The room will contain one aisle on the left side of the room (left side from view point). Teams will enter and exit from using this left side aisle.
The room (table, chairs, etc.) must be set up by the host school/team in advance of the competition and the dimensions shown in the “Opening and Closing Ceremonies Room Diagram” shown on page 7 of the National Technical Standards may be adjusted to meet local and state COVID-19 safety protocols.
Contest Guidelines, page 4, item 7 of National Technical Standards:
ADD: The room must be set up in advance of the competition by the host school/team to meet local and state COVID-19 safety protocols. All components of the emblem shall be place on the easel in advance. The three minute set up time will begin with the emblem components on the easel.
Quiz Bowl (2-4-21)
Buzzin.live will be the buzzer system used for the National Quiz Bowl Competition.
This online buzzer can be set up to run very similar to the in-person system we have used in the Quiz Bowl system for many years.
Health Knowledge Bowl 1-28-21
There have been some changes to the Technical Standards for Health Knowledge Bowl.
In the Equipment and Materials section
- Calculator added to the “Supplied by the Team” section.
- Item “a” has been removed from the “Supplied by the Technical Committee Section of the Standards. “a. A number of sample questions are available for download from the same site from which these guidelines were obtained. These questions and answers are designed to give you examples of the types of questions that will be developed for the actual contest, not as a study guide.”
In the Standards and Competencies section
- BOWL 3.0 — Has been changed to read: “Use knowledge gained from reading about current events affecting health care to answer questions regarding systems theory and health care delivery systems”
Previously read: Use knowledge gained from reading the “Health” section of USA Today concerning current events affecting health care to answer questions regarding
Skilled and Technical
The 2021 Esthetics Competition theme is “Carnival.”
Mobile Robotics Technology (1-4-21)
Below are the game manuals for each division for Mobile Robotics Technology:
Residential and Commercial Appliance Technology (formerly known as Major Appliance and Refrigeration Technology) 1-27-21
Below is the virtual update for the Residential and Commercial Appliance Technology for 2021.
Robotics Urban Search and Rescue (2-2-21)