SkillsUSA will be sending a team of 18 competitors to the 43rd WorldSkills Competition being held in São Paulo, Brazil, in August 2015. The SkillsUSA WorldTeam will compete in 16 skill areas, some for the first time. New competitions for the U.S. team include Manufacturing Team Challenge and Heavy Vehicle Equipment Maintenance. We are also entering Mechanical Engineering Design – CAD as well as Baking for the first time in many years.
SkillsUSA WorldTeam competitors spent the past several months training for the competitions.
This is the first time in WorldSkills history that the competitions will be held in South America. The event is expected to surpass the record number of competitors registered in Leipzig, Germany, in 2013.
Competitions we will be entering in 2015:
- Automobile Service Technology
- Beauty Therapy
- Graphic Design Technology
- Heavy Vehicle Maintenance
- Mechanical Engineering Design – CAD
- Mechatronics (two-person team)
- Manufacturing Team Challenge (three-person team)
- Plumbing and Heating
- Refrigeration and Air-conditioning
- Restaurant Service
- Web Design
WorldSkills International Snapshot
WorldSkills International (WSI) is a nonprofit membership association open to agencies or bodies that have a responsibility for promoting vocational education and training in their respective countries/regions. WSI operates worldwide and is politically and denominationally neutral.
- WSI provides a unique means of exchange and comparison of world-class competency standards in the industrial trades and service sectors of the global economy. The continued growth of WSI attests to the fact that traditional trade and craft skills, along with the newer technology multi-skilled vocations, make an essential contribution to the economic and social well-being of people everywhere.
- As a freestanding, nonpolitical organization, WSI provides a cost-effective means for international government and industry cooperation in achieving higher standards and status for vocational education and training on a worldwide basis.
- WSI is an international, member-driven organization that works through collaborative efforts to raise the awareness of skilled professions. Currently, there are 50 member countries.
- SkillsUSA joined the international organization in 1973 and competed for the first time in 1975. To view SkillsUSA’s team member selection procedures, visit this page.
- The first competition was held in 1950 in Madrid, Spain. Germany hosted the most recent WorldSkills Competition in Leipzig in 2013.
- As many as 200,000 spectators, public policymakers, employers, teachers, trainers, technical experts and government officials from around the world attend the biennial competitions.
To learn more about WSI, visit: http://www.worldskills.org.