Become an Officer
Being a national officer is the ultimate growth and student leadership experience in SkillsUSA. The overall program focuses on five key essential elements of the SkillsUSA Framework: responsibility, communication, teamwork, leadership and professional development. The skills learned through this leadership program will help officers not only be successful in serving the organization, but throughout their lives and careers.
Potential candidates should be dedicated to SkillsUSA, have a desire to serve the members of the organization, be able to work in a team and be willing to learn and grow.
National Officer Candidate Qualifications
- Minimum qualifications as outlined in the SkillsUSA Constitutions:
High School: ARTICLE VI—QUALIFICATIONS FOR NATIONAL OFFICE
College/Postsecondary: ARTICLE VI–QUALIFICATIONS FOR NATIONAL OFFICE
- State Director’s endorsement
- At least one full year remaining in a technical, skilled and service career, including health careers programs.
- School administrator’s support
- Chapter advisor’s support
- Completion of PDP Level 1-2 or the first nine experiences in Career Essentials: Experiences (9 Fundamental)
- Complete national officer candidate application form
- Complete and submit National Officer Candidate Application by June 1
National Officer Application Process
Thank you for your interest in becoming a national officer candidate. The application process is electronic only. Once you begin the online process, you must complete the entire application, as it will not save unfinished work. If you stop in the middle, you will have to start over. Once you submit the application, you will receive a confirmation email. The application deadline is June 1, 2018. You will be notified within two weeks of receipt if you are eligible to be an official candidate.
Before You Begin the Online Application, ALL candidates must:
- Meet the minimum qualifications outlined in the SkillsUSA constitutions. Use the links below to review the SkillsUSA Constitutions (HS or College/Postsecondary):
- have the following contact information ready to input:
- School name and address (where your chapter is located)
- SkillsUSA chapter advisor name and email
- School administrator name and email
- State Director name and email
- answer the following questions using 500 words or less on a separate sheet of paper to transfer the answers to the online application. This information will be shared with the SkillsUSA national voting delegates.
- Why do you want to become a national officer?
- What is your SkillsUSA Framework story?
- What qualifications do you possess to be a national officer?
- What SkillsUSA honors, elected offices held, awards have your received?
- What school activities, organization involvement or community-based activities are you involved in?
- gather the following documents. These will be uploaded as part of your application:
- State Director Endorsement Letter
Endorsement from the state director of the state association where you will be serving during your term in office. This letter must include the state director hand-written signature.
- School Verification Letter
Verification letter from your school administrator indicating that you have at least one full year remaining in a technical, skilled and service career, including health careers programs. This letter must include the administrator’s hand-written signature and program name.
- School Administrator Support Letter
This letter must be from an administrator of the school you will be attending and where your chapter is located during your term in office. This letter must include the administrator’s hand-written signature.
- Chapter Advisor Support Letter
This letter must be from the advisor of your chapter during your term in office. This letter must include the chapter advisor’s hand-written signature.
- Copy of certificate of completion of PDP Level 1-2 OR copy of nine badges of completion for 9 Fundamental Career Essentials: Experiences
Copy of PDP Level 1 – 2 certificates or 9 Career Essentials Certificate or 9 badges of completion
- National Officer Candidate Application Form
Candidate Minimum Qualifications, Candidate Travel, Confidential Medical Information
- State Director Endorsement Letter
Once you have all of the information gathered, you are ready to being the application process by filling out the form below. Once you submit, you will receive a confirmation email.
The application deadline is June 1.
If you have any questions or experience any challenges, please contact Kim Hegedus: email@example.com.