5. Register yourself and your students as members of SkillsUSA
Now that you have officially established your SkillsUSA chapter, you can begin to register yourself and your students at: www.skillsusa-register.org.
Why is it important to register yourself as a professional member of
SkillsUSA? Becoming a professional member of SkillsUSA is one of the best ways you can demonstrate to your students the importance of the organization and the opportunities that membership will provide. As a professional member, you will receive online access to the following:
SkillsUSA Championships Technical Standards
Jump into STEM! curriculum
- Career Essentials: Foundations
SkillsUSA professional members, as a member benefit, receive the aforementioned items when they have submitted a current and accurate email address along with their membership details. The SkillsUSA Championships Technical Standards is available online to professional members as part of their paid membership. Once membership has been submitted, an email will be sent to the address on file which will include a pin number to access the items electronically.
- As a special membership incentive, register at least 15 student members in your training program plus one or more professionals by Nov. 15, and you will receive a free educational resource item, Critical Thinking at Work (value $9.95)
- Instructors who register with 100-percent membership plus one or more professionals will also receive a SkillsUSA Program of Work calendar (value: $5.95).
- SkillsUSA national dues for student members are $8 plus state dues, which vary. For instructors, national dues are $20 plus state dues, which vary. Student members must meet both the state and national deadline to be eligible for national competition, serve as voting delegates or national officer candidates. The national membership deadline is March 1, but many state deadlines fall earlier. The complete listing of state dues and deadlines are available here.
- To enjoy full membership services, names submitted by Nov. 15 receive all membership services for the current school year, including free teacher items when applicable. Student membership runs from Sept. 1 to Aug. 31 each year.
- As an advisor, you may encounter students who do not have the economic means to pay dues or cover costs of participating in SkillsUSA. As educators, we understand the value of the SkillsUSA experience and look for ways to help students cover the costs. Here are some ideas that have worked for other advisors:
- Secure a business or industry sponsor to provide the financial resource to cover the costs of dues or expenses for SkillsUSA activities.
- Have students work extra time at fundraisers to earn needed money.
- Create opportunities for students to help in the classroom/laboratory to offset the money needed.
- Check with your school to see if a fund exists to help students who have low socio-economic status.
- Have students provide services for individuals in the community or others teachers in the school (such as cleaning, filing or assembling and disassembling bulletin boards). Payment could be made to the chapter and used for dues and expenses.
- The Quick Start Guide to Online Membership Registration will quickly move you step by step through the registration process. Gather all the needed information from your students by first using the Membership Form to collect pertinent membership details.
- The Membership Kit contains 24 membership cards for students. For more cards, call 844-875-4557 or email email@example.com.
- Call the SkillsUSA Membership Hotline if you need help in starting a new chapter, engaging chapter members, or discovering strategies to strengthen an existing chapter. If you have questions or need assistance with online membership registration, the hotline operators can take care of that, too. Call toll free: 844-875-4557
Call Toll Free:
Have questions? Need answers? The SkillsUSA Membership Hotline can take care of all of your chapter questions. From how to start a new chapter to ways to strengthen your chapter, the hotline operators are standing by. If you have questions or need assistance with online membership registration, the hotline operators can take care of that, too.