This is important background information for your congressional visits, along with follow-up information.
Before Your Visits
Please go over the following information with your delegation members during the state planning session on Monday.
- Congressional visit appointment request letter
- Safety, Security and Tour Tips for Capitol Hill
- CTE Congressional Caucus Lists and Committee Lists (House and Senate) — These are the Members of Congress who have the most influence over career and technical education.
- 2018 WLTI Congressional Visit Report — This report from 2018 will help you prepare for this year’s visits. It details who the states met with last year and what they said.
Visit Follow Ups
- Congressional Visit Report Form —Assign one person to complete a report on each visit using the online form. List your state, who you met, the name of the representative or senator, and a visit summary. Please be as complete as possible. These reports must be complete and submitted digitally by Wednesday at 9:30 a.m.
- Sample thank-you note — Assign a person to write one thank-you card for your group to mail to your representative or senator for each visit. SkillsUSA notecards will be provided and a sample thank-you note is located here. Please drop off your completed unsealed thank-you notes in the WLTI headquarters by Wednesday at 9:30 a.m. We will provide postage and mail them.
- Sample WLTI Press Release — Each WLTI attendee should send a press release to their local newspaper upon returning home. A sample press release is located here and a fill-in press release is on the SkillsUSA Engage advocacy site: www.congressweb.com/susa/. There you can send the press release to five media outlets at a time using this resource. After the release is submitted, follow-up with the media outlet(s) by calling or emailing.
Congressional Visit Materials
Each state will be provided with a set of congressional office leave-behinds for your planned visits. Extra materials are available in WLTI Headquarters in the Arbors Room, if needed. Your leave-behind packet should include:
- SkillsUSA: Champions at Work brochure
- SkillsUSA Framework Card with Lapel Pin — This card explains the SkillsUSA Framework of personal skills, workplace skills and technical skills grounded in academics)
- List of Delegation Members — Create a list of who attends each visit to leave with the congressional representative or senator so they have a record of who visited. A fillable PDF is available for you to download..