June 1st, 2011
Sponsored by the SkillsUSA Alumni & Friends Association, SkillsUSA will be holding the fourth annual 5K Champions Run in Kansas City during the National Leadership and Skills Conference. This year, the race takes place on Friday, June 24, at 9 a.m. at the English Landing Park in Parkville, Mo. The park is about 15 minutes from downtown.
Transportation to the park will be provided from the Convention Center at 8:00 a.m. (students can shuttle from hotels to the Convention Center on Friday morning and then ride a designated bus to the 5K race or use private transportation).
Registration is $20 per person and includes a unique T-shirt for the first 300 who register. Awards will be presented to the first 300 finishers, and the fastest three males and females will be recognized. No headphones, strollers, animals, skates or skateboards will be allowed on the racecourse. Register now to be a part of this fun event that benefits the alumni organization. For more information, please visit: www.skillsusa.org/supporters/alumni5k.shtml.
June 1st, 2011
The 2011 WLTI will be held on September 17-21 at the Hyatt Dulles. State association directors, please read the following to help you with registration.
Application and Registration Process
The national office has outlined steps for this year’s WLTI registration process. Students who are interested in attending MUST apply to their state office, be accepted by their state office and meet state approval prior to being registered. Advisors and other participants do not need to apply through their state office and can follow the registration steps below. WLTI application, registration and liability/medical forms are available online.
Please contact the national office at 1-800-321-8422 if you wish to have WLTI forms mailed/faxed to you, ask for Susan Trent. Questions about the application process can be directed to Deborah Tripp at 1-800-321-8422, ext. 637 or email@example.com.
WLTI General Directions:
All student applications and registrations will be conducted through their respective state association offices. Applications are due to their state office by August 10, 2011. Please note: students MUST apply and be accepted by their state associations prior to registration. All applications and registration forms can be downloaded and printed from our website at www.skillsusa.org/events/wlti.shtml or obtained from the state director.
For state association directors who will be sending information to your advisors and students, following are the steps for student and advisor applications.
Steps for Student Application to their State Office:
- Students need to obtain an application form by: (a) downloading from the SkillsUSA website, (b) from their state director, or (c) calling the national office to have one faxed, call 1-800-321-8422, ask for Susan Trent.
- Applications must be typed, neat, complete and free of errors. Complete and send to their state office.
- Deadline for applications to be sent to their state office is August 10, 2011.
- The state association director must/will notify students whether they are accepted or not. If accepted, students can then fill out their registration forms for the conference and return them to the state director who will submit the registrations to the national office.
Steps for Student Registration Through Their State Office:
- Obtain a registration form, by (a) downloading from our website, (b) from the state director, or (c) call the national office to have one faxed. Call 1-800-332-8422 and ask for Susan Trent with questions.
- Complete the registration form AND medical release information. Submit to the students’ state association director with payment by August 10, 2011. The deadline for the state director to register a student is August 26, 2011.
- Once the national office receives the registration, the student will receive a confirmation letter.
- Complete the pre-conference assignment (found on the website) and the student should take it to WLTI. Students can obtain the pre-conference assignment form by (a) downloading it from our website, (b) from their state director, or (c) by calling the national office to have one faxed. Call 1-800-321-8422, ext. 637 and ask for Deborah Tripp.
Steps for Advisor Registration:
- Obtain a registration form by (a) downloading from our website, (b) from the state director, or (c) by calling the national office to have one faxed. Call 1-800-332-8422 and ask for Susan Trent.
- Complete the registration form AND medical release information. Submit to their state association director with payment by August 10, 2011. The deadline for the state director to register the advisor is August 26, 2011.
Once the national office receives the advisor registration, the advisor will receive a confirmation letter, tentative agenda and pre-conference information.
Steps for the State Director to Register Participants:
- Obtain registration forms either from our website or request a set be mailed to you, so that you may provide forms when requests are made.
- Approve/disapprove student applications. Notify students you approve and ask each to complete the registration forms AND medical release information and send to you by August 26, 2011.
- Please note: we are asking you to encourage all members to apply and attend WLTI, not just state officers. The experience is designed to be a capstone event for personal leadership development.
- Submit all registration/medical forms with payment to Susan Trent, SkillsUSA, 14001 SkillsUSA Way, Leesburg, VA 20176-5494. Susan can be reached at 1-800-321-8422.
- All registration forms must be received in the national office no later than August 26, 2011.
June 1st, 2011
We need everyone’s help with the National Courtesy Corps annual auction. As you know, every year, the national Conference Management Team – Auction Committee collects items to be auctioned that help raise money for the National Courtesy Corps. The Auction will be held on Friday, June 24th, in Lobby 2200, Room 2215C, Bartle Hall, Kansas City Convention Center, beginning at 11 a.m.
We urge instructors to donate items, possibly student projects from their schools. All of this helps with expenses incurred as a result of having the valuable talents of the Courtesy Corps at our disposal during the NLSC. If you have items you would like to donate to sell at the auction, please either mail them to the attention of NCC Auction, c/o Byekwaso Gilbert, SkillsUSA, 1100 Main Street, Suite 2200, Kansas City, MO 64105-2040, or leave donated items with the national conference registration staff in Lobby 2100, Room 2103A of the Kansas City Convention Center when registering your state delegation.
Please plan to attend the Auction and join in the fun. Remember, one person’s trash is another person’s treasure! So, be sure to clean out your closets and garages and send us some “treasures.”
If you have questions, please contact Byekwaso Gilbert at firstname.lastname@example.org.