More Honors from the WorldSkills Competition
I’m pleased to announce that Jack Frederick, our automobile technology contestant on the SkillsUSA WorldTeam and a former national officer, received the Albert Vidal Award during the WorldSkills Competition in Calgary. The Albert Vidal Award recognizes the top 20 scorers among all 900 contestants in all contests. This award is in addition to Jack’s silver medallion in the automobile technology competition and his gold medal for being the best of nation.
Just to recap: the 16-member SkillsUSA WorldTeam entered 15 contests and brought home two silver medallions and four medallions of excellence for scoring above 500 points in the 600-point contests. This is the best medal score for the U.S. since 2001.
News releases on the team since its return have been sent to hometown papers of the winners and to the trade press. WorldTeam has garnered 73 news stories including Motor Age, Contracting Business, Collision Week and many others. Trade news releases were mailed on September 19 and were being picked up and published online within minutes. The overall team news release went out last week to the education media and to the team hometown papers.
- Jack Frederick from Wichita, Kan., and a student at Pittsburg State University in Pittsburg, Kan., Automobile Technology
- Joe Young from Heartland, Mich., and a student at Washtenaw Community College in Ann Arbor, Mich., Welding
Medallions for Excellence
- Amela Mujkic from Clinton Township, Mich., and a student at Ferris State University in Big Rapids, Mich., Printing
- Ben Janke from Madison, Wis., and a student at Madison Area Technical College, Car Painting
- Craig Growney from East Rutherford, N.J., and a student at the Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, N.Y., Cooking
- Jennifer Miaczynski from Bourbonnais, Ill., and a student at Kankakee Area Career Center in Bourbonnais, Hairdressing
Other members of WorldTeam who competed in the WorldSkills competition were
- Scott Raymond from East Hampton, Mass., and a student at Universal Technical Institute in Norwood, Mass., Autobody Repair
- Kyle Wegman from Parkesburg, Pa., and a student at Stevens College of Technology in Lancaster, Pa., Cabinetmaking
- Fernando DeLaGarza from Meridian, Idaho and a student at Dehryl A. Dennis PTEC-Boise in Meridian, CNC Milling
- Josef Schwarzer from Leonard, Mich., and a student at Romeo Engineering and Technology Center in Washington, Mich., CNC Turning
- Hayden LeJeune from Baton Rouge, La., and a student at Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge, Industrial Electronics
- Kinzie Doll from Kansas City, Mo., and a student at DeVry University in Kansas City, IT/PC Networking
- Adam Bierschbach from Albany, Minn., and a student at Alexandria Technical College and Adam Wiechmann from Melrose, Minn., and a student at Alexandria Technical College competed as a team in Mechatronics
- Leroy Rogers from West Allis, Wis., and a UA apprentice, Plumbing
- Ryan Rutherford from Stickney, Ill., and a UA apprentice, Refrigeration
We’re tremendously proud of this year’s WorldTeam and thankful to our technical experts, official and technical delegates, and team leader, sponsors and supporters who made the team’s success possible.